Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Threesome Fun: Hey, Hey, Hey...It's Deeeeevin Harris!

When I think of a post title, I try my best to throw integrity out of the window and drum up site traffic. Presto!


What I am referring to in the title is the proposed three-team deal between the Nets, Mavs, and Blazers that is the talk of the rumor mill. The deal would net the...Nets...Jerry Stackhouse, Devean George, Travis Outlaw, Jarrett Jack, Channing Frye, cash and first round pick. The Mavs would get Jason Kidd, Malik Allen, and Jamaal Magliore. Not much has been said about who the Blazers would get other than Devin Harris.

My first impression as I look at the whole thing? What is in it for the Blazers? Obviously the Nets suck ass and just want to scrap their whole operation. Obviously the Mavs feel like they need to make a big move to spark themselves to the top of the pecking order in the west. Both of those teams are getting major help in those areas. -But why do the Blazers, a team that has enjoyed much success this season and appear to be gelling wonderfully, want to give away the best of their bench depth and possibly a first rounder for Harris?

Our bud Henry at True Hoop has numerous reasons for this, going in depth as to how Harris could actually be a great fit for them. He makes a convincing argument, but I have another reason altogether:

Blazers GM Kevin Pritchard likes the show Fat Albert.

I have long been under the impression that Devin Harris is actually the living embodiment of the character "Bucky" from the 80s tv show Fat Albert. See for yourself:














I even yelled it out the moment the Wizards drafted him in 2004 (marking only the second time I have yelled during an NBA draft, the other time being me screaming and falling to my knees in pain when my Magic drafted overrated collar popper and fohawk spokesmodel JJ Redick). I envision the Wizards GM Ernie Grunfeld looking at photos of Devin Harris and Josh Childress side to side and saying, "Who do I trust to help my team more...Bucky or Weird Harold? Hmmm...Whatever, let's just draft someone and ship them off for Antawn Jamison."

This brings to mind the obvious question: If Devin Harris is Bucky, Weird Harold is Josh Childress, who would be the other people in the gang? Tyronne Lue is OBVIOUSLY Mushmouth, but beyond that I'll leave it up to you folks.


No comments: