Tuesday, February 19, 2008

A Good Team Mascot Scares Children

If you were to happen to check out the Orlando Sentinel today, here is the image you were presented with:


The image is supposed to represent the Orlando Magic attempting to make a trade deadline deal. This all is lost on the viewer who is thrown into madness at the steely gaze of the Magic mascot.

I go back and forth on whether Nets' "Sly The Fox...and mini-Sly!" or "Stuff The Magic Dragon" are the best mascot ever created. This image temporarily puts the advantage in Stuff's favor. What are in those briefcases? Body parts? Ransom money? Pounds of Columbian cocaine?

I'll go the safe route and say all of the above.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Stuff, but since he was created in the image of the Phillie Phanatic by Pat Williams and other former Philly sports figures who were working on bringing an NBA franchise to Orlando, can he count as one of the best mascots ever created? He's more just like the bastard son of the Phillie Phanatic.

Anonymous said...

You know, for a couple of years there I wasn't a fan of Stuff. I don't know why, I just thought he needed an update from his late '80s origins.

But you know, in the past 6 months or so, I've come back to my senses and again appreciate Stuff like I did as a kid. Stuff kicks ass.