Sunday, February 24, 2008

Move Aside, Seacrest! THF Predicts The Oscars!


UPDATE: Wow...No Country and random The Bourne Ultimatum wins ruined my picks (and those of lot of other people in my pool). The only thing I seemed to predict correctly was that Jon Stewart would suck as host. My keen ability to predict who will annoy me stays intact.
----------------------
I just got back from a weekend trip to Atlantic City, $50 lighter in the wallet but richer in stories. While on my trip I ate like a king, drank like Sinatra, and apparently sleepwalked (this is yet to be confirmed with photographic evidence). The highlight for me was when I saw Arizona Cardinals QB Matt Leinart with his knockout (and I do mean knockout) girlfriend outside of a comedy club at the Borgata. I walked up to him and said, "Hey Kurt. I love what you're doing with the team". He gave me an annoyed look and walked away. He looked exactly like this, except he was unshaven and had shorter hair:


His girlfriend giggled so I consider it a victory.

This talk of entertainment and greed brings us to this year's Oscars. I know, you're probably wondering what Oscar picks are doing on a basketball website. To this I reply with the fact that lately Oscar parties are filling that void between Super Bowl and NBA Finals parties, so Oscar pools have become big business for gamblers. If you're like me, you're settling in to watch them with a bunch of buds and have some cold hard cash in an Oscar pool. You will need this cash to later bet on the NBA Finals, so victory tonight is crucial.

...Hey, I didn't say it was perfect logic, but if I can help a few thousand readers win some money by telling them who will win best animated feature, so be it.

Without any further ado, here are my Oscar picks for this year. I will update this list afterwards with any incorrect answers in "There Will Be Blood" RED.

Best Picture - There Will Be Blood

Best Actor - Daniel Day Lewis (There Will Be Blood)

Best Supporting Actor - Javier Bardem (No Country For Old Men)

Best Actress - Julie Christie (Away From Her)

Best Supporting Actress - Amy Ryan (Gone Baby Gone)

Animated Feature - Persepolis

Art Direction - Sweeney Todd

Cinematography - There Will Be Blood

Costume Design - Sweeney Todd

Directing - There Will Be Blood

Best Documentary Feature - No End In Sight

Documentary Short Subject - La Corona (The Crown)

Film Editing - No Country For Old Men

Foreign Language Film - Beaufort

Best Makeup - La Vie En Rose

Original Score - Atonement

Original Song - That's How You Know

Short Animated Film - Madame Tutli-Putli

Short Live Action Film - Il Supplemente (The Substitute)

Sound Editing - The Bourne Ultimatum

Sound Mixing - Transformers

Visual Effects - Transformers

Writing (Adapted) - No Country For Old Men

Writing (Original) - Juno
To be honest, overall I just want to see There Will Be Blood win as much as possible. Not only did I love the movie, but I am actually looking forward to the inevitable corny-as-hell "There Will Be GOLD!" headlines the next morning. The rest of my hopes involve Persepolis upsetting that animated Rat movie, and me being able to stomach Jon Stewart for longer than a half hour (unlikely). Enjoy the awards, folks! Hopefully we see someone trip up the stairs!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I honestly didn't think by boy Johnny S was too bad. He's a political humorist and he had to keep it a bit more PC during the show, but for 11 days preperation he really wasn't horrible. I thought the only truely terrible part was the whole "AND THE BABY GOES TO..." schtick. With that said, Daddy Day Camp should have won movie of the year.

Unknown said...

I'm sorry No Country for Old Men was the worst movie I've ever seen beating out Get Rich or Die Trying and White Girls.

The movie was a LONG wild goose chase that led to nothing.

Anonymous said...

just saw no country for old men; it's unassumingly unconventional and yet (thankfully) never over the top. the ending was a bit dumbfounding, but maybe that's a good thing...